Christ’s Deity

Jesus Christ made his deity (that he was God) very clear when he used the title that God gave to Moses - "God said to Moses, "I AM who I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you." - Exodus 3: 14

God moves in time, he created it, but he is also outside of time, as the Christian philosopher stated: ‘He is the God who is there’.  He is not "I was" or "I will be" but, "I AM". He is beyond all possible analysis by the intellect of human beings.

But Jesus used that title "I am" in such a manner that it would be impossible to misinterpret what he said. Let me quote from Scripture the incident where it took place -

The Jews exclaimed - "Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?" Jesus replied - Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad. "You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "And you have seen Abraham! I tell you the truth," Jesus answered. "Before Abraham was born, I am!" At this they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds - John 8: 52 to 59

Jesus used the expression, "I am" many times during his ministry. Jesus is unique in this, he makes claims for himself that no other religious leader ever made;  and his great statement to his disciples confirms this - "I am the way and the truth and the life. No-one comes to the Father except through me" - John 14: 6

The world, in general, would have us believe that there are many ways to God, but the Scriptures show clearly that there is only one way. The Israelites were forbidden to worship Jehovah anywhere else but in the Temple at Jerusalem, there was one place and one way only for them to worship. And the New Testament clearly shows that there is only one way to God the Father and that is through Jesus Christ our Lord  -

For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus - 1 Timothy 2: 5

Have you come to him, making a personal commitment to follow him, The church has a corporate ministry in the world, it is the kingdom of God, but it always begins with individual belief, decision and commitment, make that commitment now! The Bible says "now is the day of salvation!"

Jesus told the Jews that he was the Son of God and it could have cost him his life.

The Jews replied, We are not going to stone you for a good act, but for blasphemy; because you, a mere man, make yourself out to be God. Jesus replied, "The one whom the Father consecrated and dedicated and set apart for himself and sent into the world - why then do you accuse me of blasphemy  because I said, I am the Son of God?

If I am not doing the works (performing the deeds) of my Father, then do not believe me - do not adhere to me and trust in and rely on me. But if I do them, even though you do not believe me. nor have faith in me, (at least) believe the works and have faith in what I do, in order that you may know and understand (clearly) that the Father is in me and I am in the Father - one with him" - John 10: 33 with 36 to 38 Amplified Version

While Jesus made his Deity very clear in many ways, he seldom referred to himself as The Son of God as he wanted people to discern that for themselves and that he was the long waited for Messiah (Hebrew) the Christ (Greek) both words meaning ‘the anointed One’
.
It is the writers of the gospels and the epistles (letters) inspired by the Holy Spirit who again and again refer to him as the Son of God. 

And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." - Matthew 3: 17

In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning - John 1: 1 & 2

Who through the Spirit of Holiness was declared with power to be the Son of God by his resurrection from the dead. Jesus Christ our Lord - Romans 1: 4

Theirs (the Jews) are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of Christ, who is God over all, forever praised! Amen - Romans 9: 5

Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." - Matthew 16: 16

Nathanial at the beginning of Christ’s ministry -Then Nathanial declared, "Rabi, you are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel," - John 1: 49

Thomas declared after his resurrection - Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!" - John 20: 28

Martha acknowledged who he was as they stood before her brother’s tomb - "Yes, Lord," she told him, I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world." - John 11:27

The centurion who supervised the crucifixion declared his deity - And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, heard his cry and saw how he died, he said, "Surely this man was the Son of God." - Mark 15: 39.

Even the demons knew him for who he was - He shouted at the top of his voice, "What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? Swear to God that you won’t torture me." - Mark 5: 7

All the above and many more knew that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. In these turbulent times are realizing again that Jesus Christ is the only answer, there is no other.

He tells us that -
I am the bread of life - John 6: 35
I am from above - John 8: 23
I am the Eternal one - John 8: 58
I am the Light of the World - John 9: 5
I am the Gate - John 10: 7
I am the Resurrection and the life - John 11: 25
I am the Lord and Master - John 13: 13
I am the True Vine - John 15: 1
I am the First and the Last - Revelation 1: 7

Look these up these quotes in your Bible and read them in their context, and more important still ask Jesus into your heart and life through the Holy Spirit, and you will be safe for eternity.

He is the "new and living way". Do not be deceived or confused by all that is going on around you, come to Jesus Christ the Son of God and follow him from this day onward.


If we at "Then Church of the Good Shepherd" can be of help to you, come and visit us on Sunday evening at 5 pm and receive a really warm welcome.


Many Blessings!
Pastor Gordon Guillermo Burgess

Facebook: Alicante Church Of The Good Shepherd