Hope For 2013 "Whoever comes to me I will never drive away"

A happy and blessed New Year to all those who regularly read these articles and see what is happening at the "Church of the Good Shepherd". 2012 was a year of growth for us as a church, even though some of our members are not with us during the whole year. We have also been pleased to have a number of people visit us who were holidaying in Spain; it is always good to see new faces.

New Year is a time for looking back, and as Christians, giving thanks to God for his care and his blessings, even if there have been difficult times or moments of sorrow, it is good to remember the apostle Paul’s words to the church in Rome -

We know that all things work together for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purposes - Romans 8: 28

But the New Year is also a time for looking forward and making new resolutions. I know that we joke about this, saying that they last for a week or so in most cases, and then we are back to square one. Psychologists tell us that it takes six weeks to two months, to leave off an old bad habit or establish a good new one, in other words, perseverance will bring it about.

As Christians we can and should ask God’s help, and he will help us. I find that when I fail to keep a new resolution, a snide satanic voice tells me not to bother trying because you’ll never make it. This is a voice that should not be listened to.

If you fail to keep your resolution, perhaps it was something you wished to do daily, and you find that you have forgotten to do it for a whole week, do not be discouraged, do it tomorrow!. And if you fail yet again, then do it yet again, and you will find that you will win in the end, even if it takes some months; don’t give up, persevere! 

If you do not know the Lord Jesus as your Saviour, and enjoy a personal relationship with him ( this is true Christianity). Then the most important resolution that you can make for 2013 is to acknowledge that he died for your sins, ask his forgiveness, and, through the Holy Spirit, he will come into your life and save your soul.

Jesus Christ will  help you to live a new life and to persevere to the end, Jesus said -

"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away" - John 6: 38


Jesus told his disciples when he was about to ascend to heaven -

Surely I  am with you always, to the very end of the age- Matthew 28: 20

He also told his disciples -

I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you - because I live, you also will live - Juan 14: 18

Make the greatest resolution of your life today. Don’t hesitate, decide to follow Jesus, and make 2013 your finest year ever.

Let me suggest a prayer for you -

Dear Lord Jesus I believe that you died on the cross for my sins, grant me your forgiveness, save my soul,  come into my life by the Holy Spirit and be my guide always; thank you for hearing my prayer: Amen.

May God’s blessing be with you throughout 2013
Pastor Gordon Guillermo Burgess
Alicante Church Of The Good Shepherd