The Alicante Church Of The Good Shepherd - The Gospel Revealed

Jesus gave some really revolutionary teaching and many people acknowledge that if we all followed his teaching the world would be a different place. But almost always they speak about it in the third person - they, he or she; very very seldom do people use the first person "I" or "me". Or they may say: "I'm no saint, but I would never have done what he, or she, did" etc. Or others may say. "After all I'm only human". But that, of course, is the problem, we belong to a fallen race, the New Testament of the Bible tells us -

There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God - Romans 3: 23

Let’s remember that when we accuse others of sin we accuse ourselves. It is true that not everyone sins in the same way, but all sin in one way or another. The great Christian writer C.S Lewis said that for us sins of the flesh often seem especially repugnant, but in God’s eyes spiritual sins are often worse, because behind them lurks the greatest of all sins, pride. This was Satan´s sin and from it stems all the others.

Someone will say: "But I have been deeply hurt", but what has really been hurt is pride, it is impossible to hurt true humility. Jesus was hurt many times by what his disciples said and did but we read: that "Having loved his own - he loved them unto the end." - John 13: 1 AV.

And on the Cross he said this about his enemies, who at that moment seemed to be triumphant - "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing" - Luke 23: 34.

I think that Jesus had the sin of pride in mind when he said: "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a speck in your own eye" - Matthew 6: 3 to 5.

We must always deal first with the plank of pride in our own eye, because, if not, we risk damaging our brother or sister permanently.

When I was a child and I got a speck of something in my eye my mother, who had very good eyesight, would get a clean handkerchief, and using a corner of it, with great delicacy, would gently brush the speck away. I am glad that she had good eyesight and a delicate and loving touch otherwise she could have done great damage.

Jesus Christ did not have even a speck in his eye, and it is through his love and his sacrificial death on the Cross that he can forgive you your sins and by the Holy Spirit renew your life for all eternity.

He invites you to join with him in an eternal relationship - "Take my yoke upon you -he says - and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls" - Matthew 11: 29