The "Rock Bottom" Basis Of What Christianity Is All About...

It may be that Easter is now behind us, with its Easter eggs and yellow chicks representing life, but the main purpose of Easter, the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ should be always before us because it is the rock bottom basis of what Christianity is all about.

Jesus Christ died on the Cross that God might justly forgive us our sins. He rose again from the dead on the third day after his death, as he had said he would. He ratified gloriously his redemptive death granting us, not only forgiveness of sins, but eternal life.

He conquered death and opened a door to a life too wonderful to be imagined; it was the constant theme of the early church -

With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all - Acts 4: 33

The apostles puts the death and resurrection of Jesus as fundamental to all else -

He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification - Romans 6: 9

A man or a woman can be forgiven, but you cannot wipe out what was done. However, God does just that, through Christ, he forgives us, and then justifies us as if we had never sinned; and adopts us as his son or daughter accepting us because of our faith in Jesus Christ

There is much else that makes biblical Christianity different to any other of the world’s religions.

In the first place it is not truly a religion in the same sense as the others. Religion has been largely man’s search for God and trying to discover what it can about him, and in many cases it has deteriorated into a multitude of god’s and fetishism and idolatry.

But Christianity is God’s search for man because he wishes to have a relationship with him, individually, and collectively (the church). He went to such lengths in his desire that he came to earth, the earth that he had created, and to the beings he had created, in the person of his Son to dwell among us.

The other great difference about Christianity, is that while Jesus spoke about God the Father he also spoke a great deal about himself - Jesus Christ is the Christian religion, other religious leaders scarcely ever did this pointing always their idea of God and to their teachings.

But Jesus said again and again: "I AM"

I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never hunger - John 6: 35

I am the light of the world - John 9: 5

I am the true vine and my Father is the gardener - John 15: 1

But I, when I am lifted up from the earth will draw all men to myself. He said this to show the kind of death he was going to die - John 12: 32

Using the same declaration, "I am", he declared his deity, that is that He is God.

He said, when he revealed himself to the apostle John on the island of Patmos -

"Do not be afraid, I am the First and the Last. I am the living one, I was dead but behold I am alive forever and ever!" - Revelation 1: 17

"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered (the Jews) "before Abraham was born I am!" - John 9: 58

The term "the First and the Last" is a title only given to God, and in the Old Testament Book of Isaiah we read -

This is what the Lord says - - The Lord Almighty: I am the first and the .last; apart from me there is no God - Isaiah 44: 6



When God spoke to Moses from the burning bush to send him to the Israelites in slavery in Egypt, Moses said, "If they ask me, "What is his name?" Then what shall I tell them?" God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM" This is what you are to say to the Israelites the I AM has sent you - Exodus 3: 14.

In other words God, in his essence, is indescribable, beyond our imagination, except if he reveals himself, and he has done so, in the wonder of his creation, through his inspired Word, and, above all, in the person of Jesus Christ his Son.

That such Being should desire a paternal relationship with us, his creation, is to say the least, amazing!

And Jesus told the Jews that was who he was - the "I AM."

Do you have a saving relationship with the living God? This is Jesus’ invitation to you -

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burnt out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you will recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill - fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly - Matthew 11: 28 to 30

Jesus will turn no-one away, no matter who he is or what he has done, his promise is -

"All that the father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away - John 6: 37.

The heavenly father wants to give you to Jesus as his disciple, ask him into your life now!!!

The past is the past, the Bible says that - NOW is the day of salvation - 2 Corinthians 6: 2


God Bless You All!!!
Pastor Gordon Guillermo Burgess
Alicante Church Of The Good Shepherd